council areas in Perth to change

Changes are in store for Perth, following the release of the Local Government Advisory Board report. 

For owners of existing and new home buildings in Perth, the report may be particularly interesting, given it's been dubbed the "most significant reform of metropolitan local government in 100 years".

A number of recommendations have been made, which could affect a raft of homeowners across the Perth area. 

The advisory board has suggested 16 councils should be in place of the current 30. A number of existing cities and shires will need to amalgamate to effect the recommended changes.

For instance, the City of Stirling and the City of Melville will need to be modified, while the City of Canning and City of Gosnells will form a single City of Gosnells. There are also recommended changes relating to the City of Armadale, the City of Bayswater, the City of Belmont, the City of Swan, plus many more.

Local Government Minister Tony Simpson accepted all recommendations except for two.

Mr Simpson rejected the proposal for the City of Perth and the City of Vincent. He also rejected the proposed City of Riversea, which tentatively included five existing western suburb councils - Claremont, Cottesloe, Mosman Park, Nedland and Peppermint Grove.

"This report provides a clear direction for the most significant step forward for local government reform in 100 years and people in the metropolitan area can clearly see how this process will affect them and the local government authority in which they will live," Mr Simpson stated on October 22.

It's expected that the reshuffling of the councils from 30 to 16 will have significant cost savings.

"Ultimately, once the new councils are in place, there will be a reduction of more than 100 elected members and 10 Chief Executive Officers, producing estimated savings of more than $20 million for elected member allowances and at least $30 million in CEO packages over 10 years," Mr Simpson explained.

Homeowners in Perth planning to demolish and build may wish to seek further advice from experts relating to the changes.